Whether you’re buying your first Jon boat or your seventh, you’re likely pondering the question, “where can I find the best Jon boats for sale near me?”
There are so many options, that it can be overwhelming just starting your search. “Should I buy new or used? Should I look at Craigslist or are there other options?”
Luckily you’ve come to the right place.
Jonboatsforsale.com is a classifieds website built to connect Jon boat fan, to Jon boat fan. This guide will help you on your journey as you find the best possible Jon boat to fit your needs.
How to find the best new Jon boats for sale near me?
So you’ve made the choice to purchase a new Jon boat and are looking for the best place to find one. There are various options when searching for new boats. We’ll go over them below.
These are websites where people can advertise the products or services they’re selling. This is a great place to start when looking for a new or used boat. Here are a few boat specific classifieds to begin your search:
· Jonboatsforsale.com – You don’t have to go far for this one! This website was built to connect Jon boat fan, to Jon boat fan and because that’s all we do you won’t have to look too far to find something that fits your needs.
· Boattrader.com – This is another well-known classifieds website specializing in all types of boats. Since Boat Trader carries a much wider selection of boat types expect to receive less specialized attention on Jon boats.
· Boats.com – This website is very similar to Boat Trader with similar downsides. You will find a fair amount of listings but most will direct you to request pricing from a local dealer.
Where you are will determine what dealers are available to you. You have the larger chains such as Cabela’s and Bass Pro Shops or local dealers that specialize in everything boats.
Which you should choose if both options are available? It depends. Some larger chains have onsite repair available, some outsource the work. Some have excellent reviews, some don’t. I suggest checking out all your options to determine which dealer best fits your needs.
So how do you determine exactly which dealers are available to you? Well there are a few options:
· If shopping for new Jon boats through online classifieds you will be required to enter your zip code, which will in turn show you local options. If you find a new boat that peaks your interest the listing will direct you to the local dealer where the boat is being sold.
· If you know the brand of boat you want, you can go directly to the manufacturer’s website. There, you will have the ability to search for a local dealer that carries this particular brand.
· Good ol’ Google. One very easy way to find a local dealer is to type into the search engine, “new Jon boats near me.” You will be given a list of Jon boats for sale in your area.
How to find the best used Jon boats for sale near me?
If you’ve determined that a used Jon boat is the right option for you then you’re in luck because there are plenty of places to look.
As stated above online classifieds such as Jonboatsforsale.com are websites where people can list new or used boats they’re hoping to sell. Check out the online classifieds section above for a few suggestions.
· Craigslist.org – this is another online classifieds website and an additional option for your search. Craigslist has a vast range of listings, however, you can peruse just boats or search the particular type of boat you want.
Last but not least we have Facebook. There are a couple options when it comes to Facebook. Facebook groups and Facebook marketplace. Let’s go over each:
· Facebook groups – these are spaces where people with similar interests can discuss or share relevant information. This may be a good place to start if you’ve never purchased a boat. You can ask questions and speak with other boat enthusiasts. Facebook groups will also allow members to post listings of used boats they are trying to sell.
· Facebook marketplace – This is a destination on Facebook where people can discover, buy and sell items. This will offer another method of finding used Jon boats in your area.
We’ve gone over some important questions on your journey to finding the best Jon boat to fit your needs. We’ve listed the pros and cons of both new and used Jon boats, and even made suggestions of which may work for you.
We then went over some of the methods of finding new and used Jon boats. Now, we’ll go one step further and start you on your search. Below are listings on Jonboatsforsale.com by state:
Buying “new” vs. “used” Jon boats
One of the very first questions you’ll have to answer is whether you’d like to purchase a new or a used boat. We’ll go over some of the pros and cons of each option.
Pros of buying a new Jon boat for sale near me
1. There’s no need to kick the metaphorical “tires”
When purchasing anything used, whether it be a boat, a car, or a jacket, you’re going to want to inspect the item before completing the deal. For a boat you’ll want to check for wear and tear, condition of the engine, safety of the trailer, and so on. One of the major pros of purchasing a brand new Jon boat, is taking those concerns and throwing them overboard. Purchasing new allows you to confidently select a boat with no worries about how it was treated.
2. Have some peace of mind with manufacturer’s warranty
Purchasing a new Jon boat comes with the safety net of a manufacturer’s warranty. Not all warranties are created equal, however, so I encourage you to inquire with your dealer about what is covered. One thing to remember is most manufacturer’s warranties are dealt with through the dealer where you purchased your boat. Be aware of proximity to your home when selecting a dealer to increase ease of access.
3. Make it yours
When purchasing in the used market you are beholden to the preferences of others. Meaning, you have limited control over model, size, color, layout, etc. When purchasing a new Jon boat most manufacturers will allow you to “build” your own boat to your exact preferences.
4. Financing options
Another pro of purchasing a new Jon boat is the option to finance it. Maybe you’re set on your decision to purchase a new Jon boat but you don’t have the disposable income to swing it. With prices running anywhere from $5,000 to $30,000 and up, the cost can be prohibitive. With the option to finance you can purchase something you love, that was previously out of your budget.
5. Boat, Motor, Trailer Package
Here’s a pro for those looking to make their Jon boat purchase a little easier. When buying from a dealer you can select a boat, motor, and trailer package. This allows you to pay one larger cost, all covered by warranty, to receive a boat ready for use. When purchasing used you may have to buy each component separate. If you are new to the boating world this may require some additional research to determine the appropriate components to fit your boat.
Cons of buying a new Jon boat
1. Interest and other fees
This con requires you to determine the lesser of two evils. Financing was a pro for buying a new Jon boat because it allows you to purchase something you otherwise couldn’t afford. However, the downside is that you will pay more in the long run. Like anything you finance, you will be expected to pay interest on the money you’ve borrowed. This will increase the overall cost of your boat and lock you into the deal unto you are able to pay it off.
Depreciation in boats works very similar to depreciation in cars. Upon purchasing your new boat and taking it home you are going to automatically lose value. What percentage will depend on the brand and each individual sale. Every hour the boat is in use, every ding, every scratch will slowly reduce the resale cost of your boat. So if you have plans to resell or trade in, buying new may not be the best option for you.
Pros of buying a used Jon boat
1. Smaller price tag
Reading the previous con may have lead you to guess this first pro. The cost will be much lower. Due to depreciation over the course of a boats life the price tag will, inevitably, reduce. How much will, again, depend on the brand and quality of care given. If you are a savvy shopper you can make your dollar go much further with a used Jon boat.
2. Time tested
This may be the most overlooked pro of purchasing anything used. You have the ability to sit back, watch the market, and see who develops the best reputation. Certain brands will rise as the gold standard of quality in the Jon boat world, and you, don’t have to find out the hard way that your boat isn’t it. You can prioritize performance, longevity, durability and so on while having confidence that what your purchasing is the best of the best.
3. Different styles of sale
When purchasing a new Jon boat your options are limited to, “which dealer should I trust?” When buying used you still have the option of purchasing from the trade-in or used stock of a dealer. However, the world of private sale now becomes an option. If you are uncomfortable negotiating with dealership salesmen then this may be a great alternative for you.
4. Don’t worry about making the first ding
This one may seem insignificant but if you’re the type of person that stresses over minor aesthetic flaws it might keep you from fully enjoying your brand new boat. If buying used, you may be able to skip the initial period of stress and really let loose.
5. You might not know what you want and that’s okay
If you’re new to the world of Jon boats you may not know exactly what you want yet, and that’s okay. Buying something older, used, and at a reduced cost is a great way to get your feet wet. You’ll learn what you love and what you hate about your boat without breaking the bank. When it comes time to make your next purchase you’ll know exactly what to look for.
Cons of buying a used Jon boat
1. Repair costs
As we learned earlier, manufacturer’s warranties can give excellent peace of mind. Although there are some circumstances where a warranty can be transferred upon resale, the vast majority of used boats will not include any warranty. Therefore, you will be responsible for any repair costs incurred while you own the boat.
2. May have to buy motor, boat, and trailer separate
When purchasing in the used market not every boat will come with a trailer and motor. In some circumstances you may be required to purchase each of these separately. Although this could reduce the cost and give you a more customized feel, it will require more time and negotiation with multiple sellers.
Should I buy a new or used Jon boat?
Hopefully you now have a thorough understanding of the pros and cons of purchasing new and used Jon boats. Ultimately, it will be up to you to weigh these options and determine which one best fits your circumstances, however, I have included some info below to get you started in the right direction.
You may want to buy a new Jon boat if you:
· Know exactly what kind of Jon boat you want and have particular features that are essential to your boating experience.
· Want your boat customized to your exact preferences (color, size, model, layout, etc.).
· Have more disposable income.
· Have less time to spend meeting private sellers and comparing deals.
· Value a manufacturer’s warranty and the peace of mind it brings.
· Plan to have the boat for a while and aren’t worried about depreciation or getting stuck in a deal due to financing.
You may want to buy used if you:
· Don’t know exactly what you want or this is your first Jon boat.
· Have less disposable income and want more bang for your buck.
· Have time to compare multiple deals, haggle prices, and meet with multiple sellers.
· Don’t like negotiating with dealership salesmen.
· Want to survey the market for boats and motors with a proven track record.